3.24.2010

Snoopy's Daily Dozen


This past weekend, I was browsing in one of my favorite neighborhood vintage shops (I rarely buy anything, just enjoy looking at all of the mid-century finds) The Other Shop, and I came across this spiral bound oversize book called "Snoopy's Daily Dozen: 12 Physical Fitness Exercises". Drawn by Charles Schulz and printed by Hallmark in the 1960s, the book features 12 pages of Peanuts characters engaging in various exercises such as the "Inch Worm Walk" and "Halloween Hop". And of course Snoopy is there to interject with his little quips throughout.

I had been wanting to give my personal trainer some sort of "thank you" for being generally awesome and working with me to reach my personal fitness goals, so I quickly snatched this up!

A little more research on Google led me to find that this was produced in the early 60s when John F. Kennedy led a Call to Physical Fitness. He "pushed to strengthen the President's Council on Physical Fitness" and "started running advertisements encouraging people to exercise. Influential figures signed up to back the initiative, including Charles Schulz". (via http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21938059/). The JFK museum in Boston recently exhibited the "Daily Dozen" in their exhibit "Shaping Up America: JFK, Sports and The Call to Physical Fitness".

Another item from the exhibit (borrowed from the JFK Museum website)


We do not want our children to become a generation of spectators. Rather we want each of them to be a participant in the vigorous life.

John F. Kennedy

No comments: