12.14.2008

hello goodbye : DIY


Inspired by Kate's DIY project on Design*Sponge, I decided to make my own version as a gift for the roommates I've had during my first couple of months here in San Francisco. I'm just subletting, but they've been incredibly warm + welcoming and I'm really appreciative. They've really helped make my transition to life on the West coast a friendly and comfortable one.

Rather than spelling out "goodnight", I went with "hello goodbye" which I thought was just more relative considering how short my time here has been (at least in the grand scheme of things), but also thought it would make a nice sign for the entrance. And of course it's also a great Beatles song and we are located right at Haight-Ashbury.

I chose to forgo the printing + tracing + planning that Kate's step-by-step calls for and instead just pulled up the phrase on my computer screen and eyeballed it. Turned out pretty good, right? I think I have a pretty good eye and a good sense of typography though, so if those two things aren't your forte, you may want to refer to the more detailed steps.

Let there be light. Instead of attaching a lightbulb as Kate did, I just plugged in a string of white Christmas lights, balled them up and stuck those behind the canvas! I guess I like instant gratification and I didn't have a hanging light, 2x4's, saw or a staple gun on hand, so this will have to suffice!

Next I'm going to make the same thing for my new apartment. But might try it in an orange-red OR dark gray so that it looks less harsh in the daytime.

1 comment:

kr said...

great resourcefulness with the lights~thanks for sharing your tips!