8.10.2008

DIY : jewelry display / cake stand

I've had cake stands and jewelry and making things on the brain. So on my way back from brunch today, I stopped at the local thrift store, Boomerangs. My original intention was to look for a back pack for my trip to Hawaii, but of course I found myself browsing through the random pieces of deserted china and glassware with thoughts of delicate cake stands a'la Esther Coombs. I started playing with some plates and glassware and soon enough I had chosen the material for the design of 3 or 4 stands.

Next, I headed next door to the hardware store where I picked myself up some china + glass cement.

Once home, I got right to it. This project couldn't be much easier. The "hardest" part was being patient enough to allow the cement to set (which doesn't take very long). Step 1 was to figure out which pieces should be glued together first. Again, this isn't brain science and it really doesn't matter. And I guess if you really want to be accurate about it, you should measure to find the center of the plates to more accurately place the other pieces, but I think I have a pretty good eye, so I just went for it.
In progress:

Finished products:

The one on the right is a little more mid-century and I think it will be a gift. I might try to find a nice little cup to fit on top.

Dressed in jewels:

7 comments:

T.Allen-Mercado said...

What a brilliant idea! I'm a jewelry designer and the plastic tubs were beginning to wear on me-thanks!!

Yvonne said...

I followed t.allen mercado blog to here and I must say....This is absolutely brilliant!! I love the ideal. Your displays are gorgeous!!

:: A S K :: said...

Thank you both! I can't say it was my original brilliant idea but it is a fun, easy project. AND I like finding new ways to use old product.

Frankie said...

I loved your blog that I decided to make one myself! It turned out beautiful just like yours, in total i spent $5.00 since I used my hot glue gun at home! :)

Ashley said...

Frakie - Yay! Thanks for the nice comment. I'd love to see a photo! Please send! askdzign@gmail.com Unfortunately, when I moved cross country, I decided I couldn't take mine with me, since they were quite delicate. Perhaps I'll make another someday soon!

Cowie Kaunweigh said...

♥♥♥ I JUST LOVE IT ♥♥♥

ChefBabyCakes said...

OMG that is positively the coolest thing I've ever seen! I was trying to find a new (meaning much more efficient and organized!) way to keep my jewelry in my shoebox of an apartment and this is absolutely perfect! I've always loved the island of misfit china and glassware in thrift stores and I'm so happy to have an excuse to give them a new home! Thank you so much for sharing this with the world!